- The Corvette's first major restyling since 1963 occurred in 1968.
- As the sales brochure read, "Corvette '68... all different all over"
- The fast-back was replaced by a tunneled-roof coupe.
- It featured a removable back window and a two-piece detachable roof section or T-top.
- The convertible's optional hardtop had a glass rear window.
- The front end was more aerodynamic than those on previous Corvettes.
- As before, the headlights were hidden.
- Now they were vacuum-operated, rather than electrical.
- The wipers also disappeared when not in use.
- Except for the rocker panels, the sides were devoid of chrome.
- Conventional door handles were eliminated and in their place were push buttons.
- The blunt rear deck contained four round taillights with the word Corvette printed in chrome in the space between them.
- The wraparound, wing-like rear bumper and license plate holder treatment resembled that used on the 1967 models.
- Buyers had their choice of 10 exterior colors
- Tuxedo Black
- Polar White
- Corvette Bronze
- LeMans Blue
- International Blue
- Cordovan Maroon
- Rally Red
- Silverstone Silver
- British Green
- Safari Yellow
- All convertibles came with a choice of Black, White or Beige soft tops.
- Interior colors were
- Medium Blue
- Dark Blue
- Dark Orange
- The serial number [Vehicle Identification Number -- VIN] was stamped on a plate on the inner vertical surface of the left windshield pillar visible through the windshield.
- Convertible Serial numbers ranged from 194687S100001 to 194678S128566
- Coupe Serial numbers ranged from 194378S100001 to 194378S128566
Position Character Description 1 1 Chevrolet Division 2 & 3 94 body series: Corvette 4 & 5 67 convertible 37 coupe 6 8 1968 7 S Assembled in St. Louis, MO 8 to 13 100001 to 128566 production sequence
- Engine serial number
1 to 7 0001001 sequential production number 8 F or T Flint, MI or Tonawanda, NY 9 to 10 Carburetion & transmission
- HE = 327-cid 300-hp V-8 with 10.0:1 compression ratio, manual transmission, and four-barrel carburetor
- HO = 327-cid 300-hp V-8 with 10.0:1 compression ratio, Turbo Hydra-Matic transmission, and four barrel carburetor
- HP = 327-cid 300-hp V-8 with 10.0:1 compression ratio, manual transmission, four-barrel carburetor
- HT = 327-cid 350-hp V-8 with 11.0:1 compression ratio, manual transmission, four-barrel carburetor
- IL = 427-cid 390-hp V-8 with 10.25:1 compression ratio, manual or automatic transmission, four-barrel carburetor
- IM = 427-cid 400-hp V-8 with 10.25:1 compression ratio, manual transmission, and three two-barrel carburetors
- IO = 427-cid 400-hp V-8 with 10.25:1 compression ratio, Turbo Hydra-Matic transmission, and three two-barrel carburetors
- IQ = 427-cid 390-hp V-8 with 10.25:1 compression ratio, Turbo Hydra-Matic transmission, and four-barrel carburetor
- IR = 427-cid 435-hp V-8 with 11.0:1 compression ratio, manual transmission, and three two-barrel carburetor
- IT = 427-cid 430-hp V-8 with 12.5:1 compression ratio, manual transmission and four-barrel carburetor
- IU = 427-cid 435-hp V-8 with 11.0:1 compression ratio, manual transmission, and three two-barrel carburetors
- Corvette engines have the last six digits of the VIN stamped on the block next to the engine number
- The body number plate was located on the engine side of the cowl.
- The Fisher Body Style Number 68-19467 identifies a Corvette convertible
- The Fisher Body Style Number 68-19437 identifies a Corvette coupe
- The body number is the production serial number of the body.
- The trim number indicates the interior trim color and material.
- The ten 1968 Corvette exterior colors were:
- 900 = Tuxedo Black
- 972 = Polar White
- 974 = Rally Red
- 976 = LeMans Blue
- 978 = International Blue
- 983 = British Green
- 984 = Safari Yellow
- 986 = Silverstone Silver
- 988 = Cordovan Maroon
- 992 = Corvette Bronze
- Upholstery Codes
Color Vinyl Upholstery Leather Upholstery Black STD 402 Red 407 408 Blue 411 412 Bright Blue 414 415 Orange 425 426 Tobacco 435 436 Gunmetal 442
|Series No.||Body/Style No.||Body Type||Factory Price||Shipping Weight||Production Total|
2-dr. Sport Coupe - 2 passenger
2-dr. Conv - 2 passenger
|Feature||Standard Engine (RPO L75)||Optional Engine (RPO L79)||Optional Engine (RPO L36)||Optional Engine (RPO L71)||Optional Engine (RPO L88)|
|Type||V-8, Overhead valve|
|Block||Cast iron block|
|Displacement||327 cid||427 cid|
|Bore & Stroke||4.00 x 3.25"||4.251 x 3.76"|
|Brake horsepower||300 @ 5000||350 @ 5800||390 @ 5400||435 @ 5800||560 @ 6400|
|Torque||360 lb-ft @ 3400||360 lb-ft @ 3600||460 lb-ft @ 3600||460 lb-ft @ 4000|
|Valve lifters||hydraulic||Mechanical valve lifters|
|Camshaft||high-performance camshaft||Special-performance camshaft||Special ultra-high-performance camshaft with .5365-inch intakes|
|Fuel supply||Rochester Type 4MV four-barrel Model 7028207||Holley four-barrel||Three Holley two-barrels||Single Holley 850CFM four-barrel|
- Standard Manual Transmission: three-speed manual all-synchromesh transmission with floor-mounted gear shifter
- Automatic Transmission: Three-speed Turbo Hydra-Matic automatic transmission with floor-mounted gear shifter (optional)
- Optional Manual Transmission: High-performance four-speed manual all-synchromesh transmission with floor-mounted gear shifter
- Optional Manual Transmission: Special high-performance four-speed manual all-synchromesh close-ratio transmission with floor-mounted gear shifter
- Optional Manual Transmission: Special heavy-duty four-speed manual all-synchromesh transmission with floor-mounted gear shifter
|Wheelbase||98 inches (2.489 m)||98 inches (2.489 m)|
|Overall length||182.1 inches (4.625 m)||182.1 inches (4.625 m)|
|Overall width||69.2 inches (1.758 m)||69.2 inches (1.758 m)|
|Overall height||48.6 inches (1.234 m)|
|Front tread||58.3 inches (1.481 m)||58.3 inches (1.481 m)|
|Rear tread||59.0 inches (1.499 m)||59.0 inches (1.499 m)|
|Frame||Full-length ladder type with five cross members. Steel box sections, welded.|
|Front suspension||Independent, unequal-length A-arms, coil springs; tubular shocks and stabilizer bar|
|Rear suspension||Independent, trailing arms, toe links, transverse chromium-carbon steel leaf spring, tube shocks, and anti-roll bar|
|Steering||Saginaw recirulating ball, 17.6:1 ratio, 2.9 turns to lock, 39.9 turning circle|
|Rear axle type||Sprung differential, Hypoid gear|
|Brakes||Hydraulic, vented four wheel discs; 11.8-inch diameter, single calipers|
|Total swept area||259 sq. in. per ton, 461.2 sq. in. total|
|Wheels||6" wide slotted steel 15" 5-lug disc|
|Standard rear axle ratio||3.36:1|
|Optional rear axle ratio||3.08:1, 3.36:1, 3.55:1, 3.70:1, 4.11:1, 4.56:1|